Why would a horse eat poultry? Nasty story.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken_angler, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Well we were driving around yesterday looking for quail and we pulled up to a guy's house that I have talked to before. My dad went up on his porch and knocked on the door. Nobody answered so he started walking back to our car. He told me when he got in that the one horse in the guy's yard was eting a dead goose or a duck or something that had died or that it had killed.

Why would a horse do that? It seems kinda unusual for a horse to do that. I told my dad that I would never go close to that horse! Ever!

Cody!!

2. The only reason I can think of is that the horse was starving...

3. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Ya haha. It looked pretty healthy but I couldnt see what it was eating because this man's house is up on a hill and the horse was on the other side of the hill.

Cody!!

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Thats what i said

Cody!!

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Are positive that it was eating it and not smelling or checking it out?

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Horses do funny things. Two of mine found a spot where a hawk had killed some small bird in the snow, and spent the next half hour vacuuming up all the bloody snow and feathers.

<shrug>

In some cases I imagine it could be wanting the salt, or a protein deficiency (e.t.a. - or lacking roughage and enjoying chewing on teh feathers as a horse would chew on fenceboards etc). But in the case of mine, who have a well-used salt block and are not protein deficient, I think it was just the gourmet adventure for the day, better gourmet adventures being a bit hard to come by in February [​IMG]

Pat

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  8. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    They are monogastrics, so they can eat meat. Some horses love cheeseburgers. [​IMG]

9. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Quote:Thats cool! I dont have any horses and I never knew that. I guess it is true: You learn something new everyday!

I am pretty sure it was dead whatever IT was. Lol My dad said there was blood on the dead animal. Who knows. The guy could have even fed it to the horse. I barely know him and what i do know is is that he has some cool animals. He has some geese that are four feet tall. They are the coolest things ever!

Cody!!

10. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    4 foot geese, huh? I have a four foot dog (well more like 6.5 when on his back feet), so why not a 4 foot goose? Do you have any idea what kind it was?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by