why would my chick scratch it's neck bloody?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bj taylor, Mar 1, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    they're 4 wks old. my first ever. this afternoon when i let them outside for a few minutes i saw one with a bloody neck. then i saw it had blood on it's toenail. i washed the blood off & applied some medication (rooster something or other - i forget the name).
    do they get mites so quickly? or some other parasite? do i need to be giving them the opportunity to dust bathe & put some de in it?
    thanks for your input.
    btw... i think i need to get a diploma as i am officially now a chick vet.[​IMG]

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Depending upon the temperatures where you are - they may have mites/lice if it is warm - this would have a profound effect upon their health - check them for any infestation and treat then accordingly with D.E or Permethryn - be it chicks or adults, the parasites do not distinguish between them - chicks are at a very great risk due to their size etc.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Suzie

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    we're having a remarkably warm winter. i was a school nurse so i learned to recognize lice in people's hair. i don't know what mites looks like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by