Why would my EE molt in the middle of January?!

Chick-InnKeeper

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Western NY
A hard molt at that! She looks horrid. And cold. It will be in the single digits this week and it was almost overnight her feathers fell out. All of her pin feathers seem to be emerging, but my coop is not insulated and not sure if I should take any precautions? A couple of my other EE seem to be having a very mild molt also but barely noticeable. They are all about 8 months old. Any thoughts comments would be appreciated.

Sometimes it just happens. Generally such late molters refeather rapidly. Make sure that she is eating and that your coop is dry and draft free.
Thanks! She is eating well. I just feel so bad for her. I think I’ll add an extra bag of shavings to the coop before the cold snap hits! It does look like her feathers will come quickly! 🤞

I have 2 Wyandottes that have yet to molt & they were hatched 4/17/19. They are the only ones I am sure are still laying! They are starting to lose more feathers now. The other 7 did a slow molt from October onward & then blew the rest of their feathers & quit laying in December.

I've had young ones molt the first year on occasion. Sometimes they just do a partial molt, I've had a couple do a full blown molt. Also had some miss their first molt and look horridly ratty for an extra year. Mother nature has not read the literature to them. I've got a black sex link having a horrible molt right now too. The range of 'normal' is pretty wide. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she's continuing to eat and drink well.

Back
Top Bottom