why would my rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dreamwallaby, Aug 14, 2010.

1. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    suddenly start attacking one of the hens???? The rooster is 3 months old, the hens are 10days older than him. This rooster has until Monday to find a home (hes on craigslist, I've called the ag dept and the local 4hs so far nothing) because i can't have roosters. He's been crowing for a few weeks. It used to be a couple times in the am, now it is through out the day and much louder. Today he decided he didn't like on of my hens and went after rher eally bad. Luckily I was there to break it up, but he flew at her like an eagle with his legs out in front, landed on her and started grabbing her and trying to shake her????!!!! Afetrwards he wouldn't let her near any of the food and she just huddled in the corner. When she got brave enough to try to sneak some grass, he immediately went after her again, very viciously. I ended up seperating her. Why would he do this, why just her? The other 3 hens are perfectly fine and he leaves them alone. I am 99% sure the one he is picking on IS a hen.

I might also have to cull him myself, and I am really sad about this. I had him since he was a wee little baby "pullet". He has always been friendly to me and my kids and loves blueberries.

2. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Oh dear - the call of hormones!! Who can make sense of it or him!
    Separation is the best thing to protect her.
    I had someone tell me that as a rooster stands tall and lifts his head up to crow, that placing him in a cage that he can't lift his head up high would prevent him crowing.
    Bit drastic - but might buy you time to find a home for him. [​IMG]

3. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Quote:Yeah, I actually tried a little cat carrier to try and spare my neighbors when he started up at 530. But alas, he was able to crow from a laying down position!! Little bratt!

4. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Im not sure why they sometimes do that, but Ive had the same thing happen. I had a huge beautiful blue rooster who would attack one of our hens, like she was another rooster competing with him for the girls [​IMG]. We finally had to get rid of him- I couldnt take seeing him abuse her anymore, so I had my hubby cull him. I felt terrible, but he was so aggressive, I saw no other way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by