Why would you get chicks every 4/5 months?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DianaMallory, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I was talking to a women in Meyer Hatchery when I went to pick up my chicks 2 weeks ago and she ask if they had any easter eggers She said it was cheaper to just pick up a few instead of ordering ahead of time. She said her kids love the Easter eggers. Then she told me she was in there about every 4/5 months picking up chicks. I didn't ask her why then because I don't think I wanted to hear the answer but it has been bugging me since. Why would you need to replace your flock every 4/5 months?

2. YgritteChick

YgritteChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Do you think it is possible that she isn't "replacing" her flock but is adding to it?

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Thats a nice thought but I think she must have been buying dual purpose birds. Adding to your flock in that way is really hard to do. Been down that road. She must be using them for meat too. I really wish I would have ask her in the store.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There are plenty of reasons - she may be buying them for meat processing, yes, but she also could be buying them and then selling them as started pullets/point of lay pullets, she may be staggering their age now so that she will have staggered ages in her flock for steady production down the road, she may have horrible keeping skills and be seeing massive losses - or probably a hundred other scenarios that could explain it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by