Why you should only have one broody at a time

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, May 2, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In my larger coop I have:

A broody SF due to hatch on Thursday. I recently learned that salmon faverolles is french for "goes broody, lays 2 eggs, goes broody again". One of her eggs was no good and got broken today. And you thought broody poo was the worst smell in the world. [​IMG]

A silkie hen with a single 3 day old chick. She's yet to bring the baby off the nest and I had to force food and water on her today.

Another SF that has 5 week old chicks. She's still taking care of the chicks sometimes, but mostly they are on their own.

Yet another SF that is due to hatch who knows when. We were gone on vacation and DSD failed to note what day she gave the hen eggs.

Three 3 month old cockerels from one of the SFs that is broody again.

It's been pouring rain all day, but the chickens wanted out.

The cockerels always wait until all the adults are in the coop before entering. Then there's alot of squabbling while they try to find a place out of the way to roost.

The 5 week olds wait until just before it's dark to enter. I stood out in the downpour trying to convince them to go in, but nope. My lecture about being coyote bait did nothing. Finally mama came out and convinced them to go in. This is where the problems start.

The chicks want to roost with mama, but they waited too late to go in and couldn't see well enough to jump up to the roost. One chick decided to roost under one of the cockerels. He was not amused. One chick went under a broody, the other under the other broody.

Soaking wet I got down on my hands and knees, risked life and limb to remove the chicks from under the broodies. They are now settled under the correct SF for the night.

Never again will I allow more than one broody at a time. (Do you hear that Sourland??? NEVER!)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Be careful what you wish for. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I wish for them to stop now. Does that count??

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    come next Spring....she will wish for broodies!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Gritty, you know those LARGE, covered kitty litter boxes? Well, I have two blue Orps broody in one of 'em. BIG, blue Orps, too. Squeezed into the thing.

In a small, normally used for "isolation" coop, there's the third broody blue Orp. All three of them are broody!! Plus the Welsummer who either hasn't hatched any eggs or has eaten the eggs or hatchlings, but there have been no chicks and she's been there a LONG time. Still comes out every evening for her constitutional, though.

And, come to think of it, I haven't seen Phoebe, the BLW lately, I wonder if she's stuffed herself inside someplace, broody... Crud. Gonna have to go on a search tomorrow in the daylight.

Angel has been wanting to get out of the Nursery Coop and pen in which I've kept her and the six chicklets. I'm not ready to risk the babies with the lumbering, sex-crazed JGs chasing everything and certainly NOT looking out for any littles!

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Gritty,

When are you going to realize the more you complain about broodies the more of them you are going to get! That's the Sourland curse! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    We won't discuss how many broodies I have, but suffice it to say you have't enough fingers unless you name is Debi.

I will note I keep breeding flocks of Orpingtons, Bantam Cochins, large and bantam Salmon Faverolles, Silkies, and Chanteclers. Nothing else needs to be said, right?? I even have broody Marans and d'Uccles right now! It's fiendish!

I have to say I think the wise idea of having a broody coop FAR away from their normal runs has been the best idea ever- I meant to give them a safe place to be a bunch of preggie hormonal biddies, but instead, it's broken the broodiness of every single one! It's a 4x8 half of an 8x8 that my eating-egg flock is in, and it has its own 15x30 run, and 10 extra-deep nestboxes. You'd think that would be great, right? Nope- the 20 minute car-ride to get home from the farm and the change of digs has been a complete deal-breaker every time. The first 5 I put in separate cages with their eggs, but I ran out of cages! The next 10 have rejected the specially-made housing and have thumbed their beaks at me...so I'm taking them all back out to the farm, where I have no doubt they'll promptly go broody again. There's no winning this battle.

8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I just got my first broody of the season and now I have to figure out which eggs belong to my barred rocks might have to go sit outside and wait since some of the eggs all look alike now [​IMG] last summer I could tell them apart but my babies from last year their eggs are big now and the same size and color as my barred rocks. now most times the barred rocks lays an oval egg but not lately they are all trying to drive me over the edge.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's a madhouse for sure. I need to learn to wait until dark, after all the squabblings done, to go and lock them all up. They figure it out on their own, they truly do, but I just have to get right in the middle of the fray. [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A.T. Hagan :

Gritty,

When are you going to realize the more you complain about broodies the more of them you are going to get! That's the Sourland curse! [​IMG][​IMG]

Well, AT, I guess the cat is out of the bag now.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Complaints just seem to screw up that durned old broody GPS.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by