why

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by worms7, Jan 22, 2016.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Why do people keep guinea fowl is it For meat or eggs & are they noisy birds
    Cheers

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    They can be eaten as well as their eggs. When I had them it was because they are an unusual bird and interesting to have around. And yes, they are extremely noisy. Not something to have if there are neighbors close by.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I've also heard they will attack some predators, and people keep them to protect their chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    X2. They make great "watch dogs".

1 person likes this.
  5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The number one reason posted on BYC is for tick control.

They are excellent eating and some prefer their eggs over chicken eggs.

Some keep them for the amusement they provide and some make the claim that they are good watchdogs. They are not actually good watchdogs because most of the time they make alarms for reasons known only to them and continue on with the alarm long after they have forgotten what they were alarming about.

1 person likes this.
  6. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    X2. :lol:

7. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Mine are pets but people keep them for their eggs, meat, and pest control. They are great at alerting if a predator is near by and are constantly on watch. But they will alert for other reasons. My Guineas screamed for a couple days because we took down the old fence to put up a new one. They didn't like that, they stood right next to the pile of fenceboards and screamed as if saying, "Put it back up, put it back up." Sometimes they scream because they like it. They'll fly onto the chicken coop roof and run around screaming and flying. They also eat lizards, small snakes, and sometimes attack mice. Mine are around eight years old and have quieted considerably but are still very noisy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by