Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickfever, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I got this little fuzzy chickens about 2 1/2 wks ago. The lady told me that the little roo was a little aggressive. Well, while dh was working on the pen for my babies, my human baby picked up the chicken's water bowl. DH said he heard a thump, then another, turned around and looked and the roo was puffed up flopping at the water bowl. Our darling baby screamed and held her breath (which is really common for her). We didn't see anywhere that he might have hurt her....I thought maybe she had hit him and startled him. Well, this morning my older darling and I went out to feed the babies and turn the others loose. On my way out, I was attacked several times and had to knock him out of the way to get out of the coop. When I set one foot on the ground, he came again and attacked. He stayed puffed up and followed us about 20 feet.

Why would he do this? Is he just plain mean or does he see us as predators? I do know that he has to go so if anyone wants him, he is FREE.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
  4. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Thank you both! Lots of good info in both. The bad part is that he isn't the dominant roo around here....he just likes to think he is when the dominant one isn't around. My dom roo had already taken his girls out to breakfast in my backyard when we were attacked in the side yard.

I was debating getting rid of him anyway....if I could find someone that wanted him.

Thanks again!

5. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Either way...no matter how many roos you have...they need to see YOU as the dominant one otherwise you never know what they will do!

If you are wanting to get rid of him you can try posting in the approp. forum on here! Good luck!

6. Bantammad

Bantammad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    Wales UK
    If a roo is attacking you,hold him down in a submissive postion as he would to the hens.Keep doing this he will learn to behave when you are around.

7. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    That article (Keepin your roosters sane) was really helpful with mine. I'm glad I read it before they arrived.

I've never had a moment's trouble with the top little roo.

The other little roos (#2 and #3) really started being aggressive to me at about 8 weeks old. Both bit me at times, and would challenge me. I had to really start a campaign against them, picking them up and holding them hanging by their feet until they stop moving, then I make them lie still on their backs until I let them go. I thump them on the head with my finger sometimes, and chase them away from treats when I give to the girls. I chase them when they try to breed a girl. I sometimes just push them away or assert over them some way for no reason. It seemed almost mean to me (I've never done an animal that way) but it has worked WONDERS.

They (so far lately) don't challenge me anymore, and don't bite me at all. They will run away and don't WANT to be picked up, but when I do they stop struggling quickly. They will lie on their backs in my hands and be still. I can hold them and pet them if I want, and they don't object.

It's helping, so far. I did do all those things when they were babies, but I found that around 8 weeks it started to come out in aggressiveness anyway, so I had to step up my "dominance" over them.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by