1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck boy, May 13, 2010.

1. duck boy

duck boy In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    both of my females are laying on eggs right know and they should hatch any day now but on of the females keeps ripping up the eggs with the babies inside almost fully developed and i have no idea why and i need to kno how to soolve it to save the babies.

Thank you

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

The eggs could be dead, or she could be a bad mommy. Do you have an incubator? Know someone who does? You could steal those eggs and put them in the incubator, or wait and try to sneak them under the other broody.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she's a first time mother, she may be ripping the eggs open as they pip. You could take the eggs away and incubate them. Or you could darken the nest area so that she can't see. Something as simple as putting a cardboard box (with holes for air) over her. Hope you work this out. She may be thinking these peeping things in under her are "intruders."

4. allanimals21

allanimals21 Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:I just had a hen do that to her entire nest. she is sitting on 2 eggs right now that I am sure are duds. She wasn't a first time mom and the babies the babies looked fine to me. I dunno what to tell you. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: