why????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Melissa034, May 27, 2010.

1. Melissa034

Melissa034 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    Dear all,

I lost my first baby chick today. It was my only black ameraucana. Not an EE. But a real ameraucana. I've never lost a baby before. Three years never lost a baby. Does anyone have an idea why? He was 10 days old. Very sad today.

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    First of all, I'm very sorry. [​IMG]

It's so hard to tell why chicks die. Was he acting sick, funny, not eating,etc? Did you find him already passed on? Did he have any injuries at all? We can try to help figure it out for you, with some more information, but I guess the only real answer is that it happens. Sometimes we dont' know why. Your track record has been fabulous-- so I imagine it's harder, after 3 years of no losses, your first one. I've had losses each and every hatch over the last 2 years, and on a couple occasions, an adult bird has been found dead. It's sad every time. So very sorry, again.

Quote:

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I'm sorry, sometimes we never know why. That doesn't make it easier though. [​IMG]

4. Melissa034

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    I have no idea, he was fine yesterday. I have 3 others from that batch, they all look fine. he was my only black one. Maybe to hot? Its in the upper 80's during the day. but they have shade and plenty of water. could it still be the heat?

5. Melissa034

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    its way easier when its an older one. nice long life. my husband is going to think im silly for being so upset. But he was really cute. being a baby that my responsability.

6. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Since you've never lost one before I'm sure it had nothing to do with anything you did. This little one was probably born with a defect you couldn't see. So sorry. I agree, it's tough when they are little. [​IMG]

Where do you live? I have started chicks that are pure ameraucana from John Blehm's stock. I was planning on selling a couple at the Northern California Chicken Swap in a little over a week from now. I have black and wheaton if you're close to me or the swap.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. Melissa034

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    Quote:thanks but im too far away, in ohio. ill just finish what i have now. thinking i dont want to breed anymore. not sure

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Don't make any decisions on breeding based on one who's passed away. It's a hard fact of nature, they will die sometimes, "just because". The more you have, the more will ultimately pass away. Give yourself some time, and make decisions later [​IMG]

Quote:thanks but im too far away, in ohio. ill just finish what i have now. thinking i dont want to breed anymore. not sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by