Why?.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sgsf, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    It's so unfair to Silkies.....they can't see OR fly. WHY?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Why what?

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

why? because thats how people bred them. They can't fly because of the silkie feathering - though most chickens can't fly anyway - they are too heavy. but silkies even if proportioned correctly - wouldn't have the ability because of the feathering. As for seeing, people liked the big poofy head, and so selectively bred that trait. Want yours to see? Use a rubber band to hold it up on top of head and out of face, or trim it.

Just like poor weenie dogs and bassett hounds, they have teeny short legs because they were selectively bred for that long body and short stubby legs.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My silkies see just fine even with their huge poofs. I have never lost one due to not finding the food/waterbowl. There friendly and alot calmer than most chickens. Its what breed you prefer. I prefer the silkies.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Based upon my birds and those that I have seen at numerous shows, it is FAR more often the muffs that are likely to block the eyes than the crest.

If you dislike a breed trait, then find a breed that fits your preferences.

6. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    I love silkies, and I miss my little Daisy, who died mysteriously at a very young age. She was a white bantam silkie.

7. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    My silkies fly pretty okay [​IMG] and can see, partridge has more trouble than the buff, but they aren't blind.

8. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    No, I like the Silkies. They are fun birds, and they are very nice and loving. But I just don't see how it's fair for them.

9. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:I dont know alot about Silkie traits, but I didnt know they were bred to have short legs. Just today I was looking at my hatchery stock silkies, and thought to myself-"Gee, that silkie has reeeeeaaally long legs, I wonder if it has some other genetics in it?" It was standing up really tall, but the legs themselves were really long. Is that just a hatchery thing you think?

10. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:I dont know alot about Silkie traits, but I didnt know they were bred to have short legs. Just today I was looking at my hatchery stock silkies, and thought to myself-"Gee, that silkie has reeeeeaaally long legs, I wonder if it has some other genetics in it?" It was standing up really tall, but the legs themselves were really long. Is that just a hatchery thing you think?

She was talking about those breeds of DOGS having short legs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by