Why?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by PineappleMama, Oct 31, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just curious as to why folks get peas?

Just as a lovely decoration? For feathers? For eggs? For meat?

I can't imagine killing and eating one, but my curiosity has been aroused so I just had to ask.

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    "What am I"?
    You're a pumpkin pie.[​IMG]

I like their personalities & beauty!

3. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    At one time we had over 75 breeders from Java (Muticus-Muticus) to your basic India Blue and a little over 300 chicks on the ground, we had them because we enjoyed the beauty and there personality's.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I liked them for the "eye candy" factor at first but after having them for awhile and see their personality come out I like them even more. They have learned the routine and come running when they see us coming, some will eat out of your hands. We sell some hatching eggs and quite a few chicks each year so they do a pretty good job of earning their keep.

Steve

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Kind of like the saying... 'take time to smell the roses'. No matter how stressed, how rushed, how anything I am, I always have to stop to admire the peas and they make me smile. That is why I have my peas... [​IMG]

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Some folks find they lack sufficient aggravation and annoyance in their lives so they get peafowl. Then they are happy.

7. Lazy W Poultry

Lazy W Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    There's always one in the wood pile [​IMG]

8. BillQuick

BillQuick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    A.T. Hagan :

Quote:Some folks find they lack sufficient aggravation and annoyance in their lives so they get peafowl. Then they are happy.

haha! I love my peafowl... fair enough they can be bloody loud in the mornings in the summer (you haven't lived until you've been frightened half to death by a peacock screaming first thing in the morning) but they're great to have around and really liven the place up!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by