WHY!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Acre of Blessings, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Why do the chicks pluck the feathers out of others? I am feeding them what I am suppose to, the start and grow, am I missing something? I keep the feeders full and water to. They are 2 weeks old, is there something else I could give them.

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    How old are they? Do they have enough room? Have you tried a red light?

3. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We had the same trouble with the last bunch of chicks we had. Ours too, had plenty of food & water, we switched to a red light, they had plenty of room, etc., etc., it was terribly frustrating.

I ended up going up to the local TSC and getting some BluKote, and after applying the BluKote to the wounds, I applied duct tape over the BluKote. You'd be surprised how well the duct tape works. Got the idea from a BYC'er here somewhere.

I fed them boiled eggs and yogurt every day, also all the greens I could find, and made sure there was always enough food to go around. I saw a truly significant drop in the pecking when I would go up a couple times a day and throw down some feed on the ground. I guess giving them something to scratch for kept them busy.

Now, at 10 weeks, my pullets are looking much better, although there are some just starting to get real tail feathers.

Don't know how much help I am, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I've been there and it is indeed terribly frustrating.
    Em

4. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Sorry, it's late.[​IMG] I see they are 2 weeks old. Are they under a red light? That usually helps with the pecking. Also they need room to move around. If one is bleeding you can put some blue cote on it and that usually stops the pecking because the other can't see the blood any longer.

5. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I have taken the one that was pecked out. I don't have blu-kote and if I did I don't think I could put her back in. Any ways So I can feed the chicks yogurt and greens at 2 weeks? I gave the one that was pecked some warm oatmeal but she wasn't interested in it much.

6. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I did and had no trouble with it. It takes them a couple times to realize that's good stuff. Once they know, you'll be mobbed, LOL.

Keep an eye out for more pecking. It seemed like once I had one, it was an epidemic. [​IMG]

Good luck-
    Em

7. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I am keeping a close eye out for the culprit.

8. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    If you feed other things than just the chick food, you will need to feed chick grit too.

9. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    O.K. I didn't know that. Doesn't that help break down the food?

10. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    I had the same pecking issues and came to the conclusion...........They are board in the brooder [​IMG] also it does seem to become an epidemic as another had stated previously.
    After I identified our culprit, I took er out and was ready to toss her in with the big girls so she can really see who is boss. I didn't even have to put her on the ground, she saw the big girls and tucked in my arms....I figured O.K. she got the point...brought her back to the brooder and she seemed to suddenly quit the behavior. [​IMG]

Next thing I know....(not the culprit but all the others) had caught pecking fever!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now I just have a bunch of purple chickens [​IMG]
    (blue-Kote helps a bunch!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by