1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I have 26 Buff Orps and a single White Crested Black Polish chick that are all about 4 1/2 weeks old. They were all just moved to the coop this last Saturday. My DIL had a White Crested Black Polish rooster that is a little over a year old and he just lost all of his girls to a neighbor dog attack. He was the only one that survived so I said he could come live at our house. The hens that he was with had picked all of feathers off of his head. He still had the quills but no feathers. I was concerned about him being mean to the little girls but it's just the opposite! I went out to the coop early this morning and noticed that he had blood on the top of his head. I went out a few minutes ago and he was laying down and there were 3 of the little chicks just a pecking away at his head and he was just sitting there. WTH!?! Why would he let them do that when he's like 6 times bigger than them? Should I put him by himself? Thank you for any info.

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:They will continue to do it if you do not seperate them and give the top knot a chance to feather out. I don't know what it is about the top knots of polish but chickens love to peck at it, they may recognize it's not "normal", who knows, but I've had that issue numerous times with polish which is why I avoid them.
    Once they draw blood the pecking will only get worse.

3. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Thank you!! Hubby and I built a petition in the coop today so he is away from all those crazy girls. I think he's a little stressed out that he can't be with them. Yea, the little polish that I have was a freebie and the big rooster was my granddaughters show chicken last year. Do you have any idea how long it takes to grow the top back?

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I found a little rubber band, about the size of my thumb, and put the topknot up in a tight "ponytail" It worked! It took a couple of times to get it tight and close enough to his head to avoid any spaces where red would show through, but once I got it right, it did the trick! I had to redo or replace the band a couple of times and the pin feathers stuck out when they got longer but it healed enough that it was not as tempting as the bald, bloody patch on the back of his head was! Now they still peck him occasionally and he still lets them (Stupid bird) but it is not as bad and the rubberband can go back on as needed. Good luck with yours, mine is a pill, he flogged me this morning as I was getting some scratch for him as a treat. I will not get another one! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by