1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marlene, Nov 25, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    My head hen seems to be plucking her sisters face and neck, this has only started about a month ago. I have actually stood and watched her do it, the hen just stands there and lets her pluck her, why is she doing this and why is the hen just letting her do it?
    They have a massive coop and free range all day, so it's not a case of being crowded and there diet is very good. They are given layers pellets plus fresh ved almost on a daily basis, they start the morning with a bowl of oats made with milk and there is oyster shell always available for them.

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

any pests on them? lice or mites?

3. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    No pest or lice. Have thoroughly checked them over, but did'nt think there was as i recently dusted them.
    I have had these 2 for a year and a half and it's only recently this behaviour has started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by