whyare my combs changing color??????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yopperchick, Nov 20, 2008.

1. yopperchick

yopperchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    my roo comb changes color somtimes its really red then pinkish and somtimes has a bit of black and blue .not frostbite this was during summer.also my leghorn molly has gone from red to apale pink . she lays every day and there great eggs. do they need somethin extra. all the other are fine and red as can be.

anyone know why?[​IMG]

2. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Hi, I have a RIR hen its comb used to change shape but I would think it's the weather that is changing yours color.

Larra [​IMG]

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had a couple RIR tha have had they're combs go from red to pink. Does this mean something or are they ok?

Sonja

4. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Quote:check to see if they are weak, it could be avian influenze or it might be to moist in your coop.

5. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Sometimes a pale comb is an indication of anemia. Check what they're eating and see if something may be missing from their diet.

6. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    i notice my barred rock and my rir change colors with their mood. agitated or excited = redder

7. yopperchick

yopperchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    all the rest of the birds are fine . none are week or acting sick. she lays almost every day. shells & eggs are fine. just the pinkish comb. she goes outside whenever she wants . when we got her it was really red. [​IMG]

8. mylilchix

Can very dry weather cause the combs to lighten? We've had very little moisture lately where we ive in CO. It's been super dry! My hens combs have looked pink, but when I put some vitamin E oil on them today their combs were instantly bright red. Could they just have dry skin?

Sonja

9. mylilchix

Hmmm, my hens must have needed calcium. I gave them some oyster shell and their combs brightened up in a day!

Sonja

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have seen this too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by