Why'd she do that?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewChickmom2016, Jan 6, 2017.

1. NewChickmom2016

NewChickmom2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Oh wise Chicken folk- please tell me why you think Dottie bit me on the lip! I have my theory....

Yesterday I discovered that my chickens really like it if I scratch under their wings- by putting my hands under their wings, my fingers toward their tails, and rub/scratch their back, sides, toward their tail.

So today Dottie was on my lap and I was giving her a rub - my phone rang- so I stopped rubbing and answered it. She lunged at my lip and grabbed it and then looked at me. I tried to get her off my lap- nope- she didn't want to get down! Jumped on my arm, tried to hold on, finally got her to get off. Now I have a fat lip!

My guess is she was mad that I stopped rubbing her back when I answered the phone.

Thoughts?
    -Jerie

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    My guess would be that the phone is what caught her eye and since it happened to be close to your mouth (I'm assuming?), she got your lip instead of the phone.

You're lucky she didn't get you in the eye...there have been enough stories go around about that, that I wouldn't want to have a chicken within striking distance of my face, it's a good way to get an infection.

3. NewChickmom2016

NewChickmom2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    thanks NFC - not sure how I managed to post that message twice!
    Drew a tiny bit of blood- and I think that is why she was so interested in getting back toward my face and would not get down! I have always been careful about eyes- didn't think they would go for my lip. Thinking back- I am pretty sure I had just put on chapstick- so could have been a bit shiny. But the possibility of glare off my phone is very real.
    I know now- keep their heads well away from my face! My lip is still sore!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by