Why'd she do that?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewChickmom2016, Jan 6, 2017.

1. NewChickmom2016

NewChickmom2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Oh wise Chicken folk- please tell me why you think Dottie bit me on the lip! I have my theory....

Yesterday I discovered that my chickens really like it if I scratch under their wings- by putting my hands under their wings, my fingers toward their tails, and rub/scratch their back, sides, toward their tail.

So today Dottie was on my lap and I was giving her a rub - my phone rang- so I stopped rubbing and answered it. She lunged at my lip and grabbed it and then looked at me. I tried to get her off my lap- nope- she didn't want to get down! Jumped on my arm, tried to hold on, finally got her to get off. Now I have a fat lip!

My guess is she was mad that I stopped rubbing her back when I answered the phone.

Thoughts?
    -Jerie

2. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Perhaps your phone screen created a little reflection of light on your lip and she thought it was an insect.

3. NewChickmom2016

May 25, 2016
    ahh- didn't think about that- it could have! I'm hoping you are right. She loves her back scratches- don't want to stop doing it - but don't want to be bit again either. For now- no phone when the gals are on my lap!

One of our other gals pecks at the back of the phone whenever I have it out- iphone and the back circle is shiny gold.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She wasn't mad at you.

Chickens often peck faces if allowed close enough. Lips and eyes are shiny, shiny usually means good to eat. Lots of little kiddos get pecked in the eye by exploratory chickens. Lips, nice and red and moist and shiny---might be good to eat, who knows until you taste it and see?

I don't let my birds close enough to my face to peck me, just personal preference.

5. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I agree with the others. Also watch out if you wear earrings, that attracts their attention for sure. They also zero in on painted toenails.

6. NewChickmom2016

May 25, 2016
    thanks all!!! Glad she wasn't mad- not to say I'm not a bit irritated with her now!

Learned my lesson- pay close attention and not be distracted by my phone, and keep them well away from my face!

Very rarely are they anywhere near my face- I am very careful about eyes- saw many warnings about not looking them in the eye and getting close!

First time ever that any of them have gone after me like that- and- she kept trying to get back to my lip- realized later it was probably because it was bleeding!

So much to learn as a new chicken mom!
    thanks again everyone!
    -Jerie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by