Why's my rice not cooking?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by maple, Oct 12, 2011.

1. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Did you follow the instructions?

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    good rice takes a special pot, I used to have a pot that made the best rice every time, it somehow got out of round and the lid didnt fit right any more and I have never been able to make good rice since then......

4. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    smarty pants!

Ok, so there is about 4 oz more frozen veggies in there and I may have put a lil bit more rice in it but I also added more liqued. Some people were subbing water for chicken broth or milk...I did the broth...and added a splash of milk for good measure. After 35 min. it was looking really liquedy still. So I saw on the byc casserole thread someone using crackers in thier dish so I may have added a handful of cracker crumbs...to which it looked fine 10 min. later but the rice was still hardish. Soo...I added more liqued...and gave it more time...but still hard...so I added more liqued AND put foil on it.

..now I'm getting frustrated. [​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    thats why i got a rice cooker

6. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    Quote:Yeah...I read the rice package and it said to boil like 15 min. and then put on a tight fitting lid and simmer for 15 min.

I'm hoping the tinfoil will help... [​IMG] I'm hungry.

7. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    Quote:How much are those? Ok, so from my mom for Christmas I want a rice cooker and some new tupperware. [​IMG]

8. maple

Apr 28, 2010
  9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I ALWAYS use a rice cooker to cook my rice. I never will NOT use one again. Perfect rice every time. I got mine from Walmart for like $15 bucks.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

When making a casserole like that, I stay away from long grain rice because that stuff never cooks evenly unless boiled. Next time boil it longer first or use reglar rice. Cous cous is a good alternative that cooks fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by