WHYYY!!! need advice!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdbrain5, Feb 2, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    my girls were using thier nest boxes and my rir who just started to lay has not missed a day! well yesterday, no egg. i thought she took the day off, but today i found her egg in the corner of the coop under some shavings, and under the roosts where they poop all night [​IMG] why would she all of a sudden stop laying in the box? i have 4 hens and a roo, and 2 nest boxes. one of which no one has layed in. one of the girls is real young yet and she hides out in the nest box everyone uses, but they all hop up in there with her and lay anyway so i dont know why this would change? should i put a box in the corner of where i found the egg? thats the most pooped in corner, id hate to do that. i dont know if this was a fluke or something shes going to continue to do! any advice?!
    btw- i am using a 5 gallon pail on its side with shavings and some hay, and on my coop floor i use deep shavings. the only thing i can think is shes either getting to big to fit in there? or maybe i should put hay in there to make it different than the coop floor. i dont know!

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Perhaps her favorite box was occupied, and she simply couldn't wait and layed on the floor of your coop. I have found eggs on the floor of my coop, and sometimes in the run - but it has never become a habit with any of my girls, so if she usually lays in the nest, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I have found an egg or two laying in a nice pile of poop underneith the perch a time or two. It doesn't become habit, don't worry [​IMG]

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I've had that happen. Usually mine will only lay outside of the nest box if there is another hen in it's favorite nest.

5. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    phew! im so glad to hear this. thanks!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by