Wich breed is best for me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    What breed is best for me light sussex of orpington, It needs to go broody, be a good layer when no broody, i have an option to both but i dont know wich one?

2. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Orpingtons [​IMG] They are sweet, good layers, and I haven't had any go broody but i read they go broody commonly,
    I don't have any sussex though soooo...........

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Definitely the Orps. Mine would go broody when the wind blew. But when they were laying, they were very consistent. They also had great personalities.

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Orpingtons!! Most definitively!

5. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have a sussex and she is not a good layer. Nice chicken but not a producer, just like the chart breed says. Haven't had them long enough to know if she's gonna be a broody.

6. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    I would recommend Orpingtons, they are normally laid back and sweet, and mine went broody and laid well [​IMG]

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    well next year i have the option of getting a orpington that might go broody or get a light sussesx off my friend who will be broody [​IMG], she dosent like them being broody so we do a swap but the last ones we swapped hers got attacked by a dog but lived and myne got killed by a stoat, poor miley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by