wich side up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by darin367, Nov 30, 2011.

1. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    raccoons wiped my flock out last night... i had given up on incubating eggs and had been letting the hens do it.... my wife is devastated... so i got out the bator.. i have some fertile eggs from the flock, they've been washed, but i've hatched before with washed eggs... not a good hatch rate but it's worth a try..... can't remember with side of egg to put up, the smaller pointy end or the big end, i have an egg turner.... thanks guys..

2. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    pointy end down! I hope they hatch, sorry about your loss!

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:Yus, pointy end down ^-^ If the pointy end is facing upwards, the air cell (Which is on the fat end)
    may try and work it's way to the pointy end, making it impossible for the chicks to hatch.
    Sorry about your chickens [​IMG] I'd be devastated, to. We currently have a coon that climbs
    all over the coops at night trying to find a way in.. Hopefully we'll get him tonight ^-^

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

5. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:Yus, pointy end up ^-^ If the fat end is facing upwards, the air cell (Which is on the fat end)
    may try and work it's way to the pointy end, making it impossible for the chicks to hatch.
    Sorry about your chickens [​IMG] I'd be devastated, to. We currently have a coon that climbs
    all over the coops at night trying to find a way in.. Hopefully we'll get him tonight ^-^

Good luck!

The fat end is where you want the air cell and you want it to be *up*.. [​IMG] Think you may have gotten a little "upside down" while typing.. LOL

Goddess [​IMG]

6. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:Yus, pointy end up ^-^ If the fat end is facing upwards, the air cell (Which is on the fat end)

Good luck!

The fat end is where you want the air cell and you want it to be *up*.. [​IMG] Think you may have gotten a little "upside down" while typing.. LOL

Goddess [​IMG]

WHOA

THANKYOU!
    LOL
    xD

Yes, I did get a bit upside down there o-o

Thankyou Goddess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by