Wicked Bald Butts: Severe mites? Help help a friend (PICS)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jmc, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I think this is the sign of a severe mite infestation.

Can't be molt, it is late spring!!
    And molting doesn't happen in such a sequence! Even if they were force-molting their birds, which they aren't

thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Do you see mites on them?

3. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    they are not my birds, but i hear that it could also be hens pecking at other hens...................

i have to ask my friends to look at their birds. they have about 100 of em!!

there seem to be dozens affected.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have bald heads and bald backs, not bald buts, I think my hens baldness is from rooster, but even though I do not see mites on my hens I cleaned off poop boards under the roost and I was attacked by small bugs couldn't see them very will very small, but I could feel them, tell your friend if she goes into the coop to rub the roost boards, some times just going near them is enough. I am not sure of the best way to treat so many birds. I only have 20 and I am dusting them with 7's in the AM. can sprinkle 7's and DE around the coop and grounds see if that helps,,,,,,DE and wood ash in the dust bath is supposed to help also

5. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thanks, 'grandma' [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its probably feather pecking . Mine do it & I can't stop them. I've tried everthing in the book. I hate it my chickens look like they were at war. But they still lay well.

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I wonder if they are even more attracted to pecking once they see the red skin. maybe you could spray some blue kote on them. It's messy wear gloves and old clothes if you try it.

8. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I doubt mites. I haven't had chickens long but one of the first hens we got had really bad mites and lice. her feathers didn't fall out... they actually clumped together and she COULDN'T molt because the mite & lice eggs were so sticky they stuck her feathers to her skin. She had really bad poopy butt because she couldn't move her feathers out of the way of her vent... the feathers were stuck where they were.

I would guess feather plucking as well but haven't had experience with it myself. Just a guess based on eliminating mites.

Oh.. about the molting as well... I know chickens usually molt at certain times but my hen who had the mites & lice is molting right now because she wasn't able to before. I wouldn't completely rule that out as an option.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    5Leepy! :

I doubt mites. I haven't had chickens long but one of the first hens we got had really bad mites and lice. her feathers didn't fall out... they actually clumped together and she COULDN'T molt because the mite & lice eggs were so sticky they stuck her feathers to her skin. She had really bad poopy butt because she couldn't move her feathers out of the way of her vent... the feathers were stuck where they were.

I would guess feather plucking as well but haven't had experience with it myself. Just a guess based on eliminating mites.

Oh.. about the molting as well... I know chickens usually molt at certain times but my hen who had the mites & lice is molting right now because she wasn't able to before. I wouldn't completely rule that out as an option.

It might be mites if your first hen had mites she could have infested is that the right word? Your property!!!​

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:x 2

My Light Sussex roo had that for a while (not to that extreme) but I could not find a single mite on him. I was completely confused until I saw a young pullet walk up to him while he was eating and peck his butt! [​IMG] He didn't even react? [​IMG]

I put some blue kote on his butt and it seems to have stopped, for now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by