Wide mouth breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gingyx5, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Gingyx5

Gingyx5 New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    Hi I have a year old Orpington that is wide mouth breathing. During eating she quite often coughs and shakes her head and then is followed by the wide mouth breathing which then continues on during the day. She has done this in the past and it has cleared. SHe looks quite distressed and when I carried her up to her hutch last night she was turning blue in her wattyl - which I don't no whether it was from stress of being picked up or not being able to breathe properly. Any ideas - I don't know if it is worms, food in her throat or something else. Any ideas on what to do to help her?? thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she has a respiratory disease such as apsergillosis from moldy or wet conditions, infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, or I.L.T. Aspergillosis can become chronic and blue comb and wattles can occur, with rapid, labored breathing. Is she able to eat or drink? An antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectible , Tylan soluble powder for the water, or oxytetracycline for the water may help to treat symptoms or to prevent secondary infections. Here are some links to read that include symptoms and treatments:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/aspergillosis

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Gosh, Egg, I was going to suggest the same thing!

4. Gingyx5

Gingyx5 New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    Hi Thanks for the reply. She can eat and drink - but whenever she eats she coughs and starts the laboured breathing. Have given her some grit in case it has something to do with her food not going down properly. Today she is not doing the laboured breathing and looks fine again. I will be keeping an eye on her to see if the breathing starts again. Otherwise a trip to the vet may be needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by