Wide roost made from a 2x4

MissClaraCluck

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The roost in my coop is made from a 2x2, but read that a 2x4 set on its wider side is better. Just wondering if anyone has used this wide type of a roost before. It seems it would be more comfortable as they can sit without having to grab on with their toes and their feet are covered by their tummy feathers during cold weather.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I use in all my coops. They love it. Except sometimes my Delaware girls decide to sleep on the privacy fence so they can overlook everyone else on the farm.

We use a 2x4 wide side up. They seem to like it. If you want to change yours to a 2x4 you could just screw it right to the existing 2x2. That would give your roost more rigidity and help prevent sagging of the 2x4.

Wider roosts are always better. In fact, especially the bigger the breed, the wider the perch you need - Otherwise you might face deformed joints or bent breastbones.

Hahaha.... 4 inches was not wide enough for my girls. I need a minimum of 10 inches for the roost. They love to pile in the corner.

Back
Top Bottom