widespread prolapse in my flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smithmj, Jan 29, 2015.

1. smithmj

smithmj Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    It started with one. It was so bad, that after a few days we put her down. Two more. appeared treatable, so tried, lost one. the other is still in my house in a cage. I discovered another today. I have darkened the coop. they won't stop laying. I am about to start them on antibiotics. Why could this happen to so many? From what I have read, it is unusual. I wonder if there is something other than laying out of season that could cause this. I have been giving liquid calcium for about 2 weeks, in case it was soft eggs, though the eggs have appeared to be fine. I don't think they are obese or under weight. They have been getting garlic, plenty, so I don't think they have worms. HELP!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

First - garlic does not treat worms. If they are infested with worms, you need a wormer. Second - the prolapses. You are right that may prolapses is mot normal. You may have a hen pecking the other hen's vents when they are laying. A well placed peck will cause IMMEDIATE swelling. Which will cause her vent to look like it is prolapsed. Once the swelling starts, a couple of more vicious pecks and you have a swollen bloody mess. How high are your nests from the floor?

3. smithmj

smithmj Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    My nests are enclosed. Some are low and some are higher. The pecking hen would have to get in there and get under/behind the laying hen. I had wormed with chicken wormer, and have kept up with garlic to hopefully prevent reinfestation, since when worming, I toss the eggs for two weeks. There is no doubt about the prolapse, it isn't just a little swelling

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by