Wierd Acting Poult.(Update)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chichick, Jul 1, 2011.

1. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I thought it was doing well, but when I put it back in with the others... it started acting sick again. That night it rained(I had them covered). The next morning I found it dead with it's head half way out the brooder(so I know it wasn't sufficated). What could have happened?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Turkey poults are freaks man.They are really not friendy.

I dont think there is something wrong with him.Many birds sleep while standing up. [​IMG]

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Separate out the puny one (need to determine what/how much it is eating/drinking - monitor amount and quality of droppings). What is it being fed/how long has this been going on?

Alexander wrote: Turkey poults are freaks man.They are really not friendy.

Turkey poults that are hand raised/fed often by hand are insufferably friendly, e.g., flying up on shoulder at 12wks ow! Lining up on the roof of the house like vultures and then dive bombing down around you (dancing happily).​

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. chichick

May 1, 2011
    24% feed (with high protien treats), and for about 2-3 days, ever scence one of them died from being sufficated.

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Was the suffocation of the one poult merely coincidental with the onset of the low activity level in the other?

See if it will eat moths/meal worms (sometimes they'll be more interested by movement of the food).

6. chichick

May 1, 2011
    I isolated it and it's doing great now... it's been drinking and eating a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by