****Wierd behaviors in silkie hen.****

chickenbuddy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
For the past few days my grey silkie hen has been staying in her coop and I never see her outside of it. She almost acts as if she's gone broody, however she has no eggs under her and seems to not have laid any for days. No eggs can be felt in her, so I don't think she is egg bound. She lives alone with a buff silkie hen, and her bottom looks clear and healthy except for poop dried to her fluff which I am going to clean off even though it hasn't before kept her from laying or pooping (Her feces have seem to be quite big for a bird her size, however). She is only a year old this month. The other hen seems hunky-dory and is laying like always.

Thank you for any help.

*edited to add more info*

Last edited:

chickenbuddy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Well I sure hope thats the answer (however I'd feel awfully stupid if it was) However she was laying before and has now suddenly stopped.

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
My silkie is broody also. The days she doesn't lay, she just lays on the big bantams' eggs. I toss her outside and she runs around eating for a while, then may come back to the nest. As long as she's eating, drinking, and active when i put her out with the others i don't worry.

Dust Bunny

Songster
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
in the big freakin chip truck
my cochin hen did that, drove me nuts, i have no idea why she did it either, i took her inside gave her a warm bath blow dried her, kept her in the house for a while thinking she was sick and finally decided that she must be broody or lazy or shy or something but not ill, i put her back out in the coop and made sure i tossed her out daily and when i did the other hens would be rude to her and she would puff up and cluck? she finally after months of that went back to normal?
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Top Bottom