wierd chick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aidensmomma, Jun 26, 2011.

1. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    One of my chicks, I think a rooster, is acting weird lately. All 12 of my chicks normally hang out together, they stay in a group while free ranging. Recently though, this one has been separating himself from the rest and just standing in one spot. I checked for visible injuries and saw none. He seems to be eating and drinking normally. Is this normal behavior? He is now almost 4 months old.

2. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have one that is bullied by one bird.. The bullying has decreased by I often find it standing alone in another part of the run to avoid the meanie. Mind are 2 months now.

3. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    Oh, I didn't even think of that! I haven't noticed any of my chicks bullying each other... usually if there is some aggression it's from the one who is now isolating himself. I'll have to watch a little closer...

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

If he is a rooster, maybe he just took over his flock-protecting duties. When I let my Australorps out to free range the first few times, the rooster stood by on the alert and didn't eat himself for the longest time. He stood close to the pullets, with his neck stretched high, just being alert and attentive. Their coop and run is beneath a huge oak tree, where many birds gather, including big crows and blue jays. Shortly after being let out under my supervision, they were still foraging near the coop when a large flock of noisy blue jays landed in the tree over top of them. The rooster immediately herded the other five back into the run and then into the coop where they were safe from the jays. A couple of pullets wanted to stop and scratch for goodies, but he pecked them to make them hurry up. He is a very good flock leader, so I am not at all unhappy that one of my six "pullets" from TSC turned out to be a roo.

5. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    we have all pullets and I have one that's what I'd call a loner.... it sleeps by itself and and is often away from the group (ours are 2 weeks). At first I was worried about bullying but I haven't caught anything yet. She just seems to like being by herself. I don't know if this is normal but it seems to be working for her... maybe with yours it's just a personality thing.

6. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    I hope he's just protecting them! I have two roo's and he doesn't bother the other roo, just the hens. Thanks for the help!

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 16 pullets, and 3 roos, one roo has taken over as boss man, and often is alone..to watch over the flock...if there is no bullying, most likely this is the issue...keep an eye and see how he reacts.

8. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    well, well, well...he has gotten over the loner period... how do I know? the other day my 7 year old says "Mom!!! The roosters are attacking Sam! One has her between his legs and the other is pecking at her!" Now I know it's not bullying...it's love. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by