Wierd growth or abcess on chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peaches Lee, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Tonight I found these growths/bumps on all of my Golden Comet chicks. It all appears to be on the right side. They will be 2 weeks on Wednesday. Where the bump is there is quill like feathers coming out. What is this?

They are on Blue Seal Medicated chick starter and water. No treats. [​IMG]

Another pic[​IMG]

2. MeowCluckBark

MeowCluckBark Chicken Lickin' Good

Mar 28, 2011
    Boise, ID
    Well I can't say for certain, but it looks like the neck feathers growing out like my brahma's necks did.

3. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    This what I am seeing on my golden buffs, Mine are 3 weeks old. They are also getting them on their tail feathers that are coming in. I was worried at first too. I think they are just larger darker feathers coming in.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are pin or blood feathers that are coming in on their crops. Your babies are growing up.[​IMG]

5. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Here is the third pic--maybe you can see better. There is an actual bump that feels like an abcess, about the size of a marble. It protrudes out on the right side, which can be seen more prominently when they stand upright. Could it be a vaccine reaction?
    [​IMG]

6. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    It's their ...drumroll please...crop! They are supposed to have it, it is where their food and water first goes before going to the stomach.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Lump is a well distended crop. Birds are not symmetrical in regards to crop as always on right side.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Once again, it is their crop-storage place for food gathered during the day to be digested during the night. Again as stated before the "quill like" things are the beginning of real feathers. Please relax. All is well with your chickens.[​IMG]

9. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Alright, well now I know why everybody is calling me motherhen. Just another one of my moments of panic! [​IMG]

Thank you so much for your wisdom. All I want these chicks to do is grow up!! I have been so nervous about every little thing.

10. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Quote:It is better to be worried than let something happen because you weren't! Keep up the good work and they will grow up nice and healthy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by