Wierd Silkie Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kris41, Oct 29, 2008.

1. kris41

kris41 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    I have kind of a wierd question for you all.

I recently picked up a young (10 week) sizzle boy and brought him home. I didn't want to put him in with the big guys yet, so he is in the house. I also didn't want him to be lonely, so I brought in my silkie girl (I think) who is just under 6 months for some company.

Now here is the wierd part. Everytime I look at them my silkie is sitting on the baby. At first I thought it was her idea, but now he seems to be the one crawling in under her. He just hangs out and eats and sleeps right under her.

Is this normal? She hasn't given us any eggs yet and it is plenty warm in the house so I can't believe that he is cold. Any ideas? Here is a picture I took last night of them. You can only see his little head poking out.

Thanks.

Kristie

[​IMG]

2. ChickyBabe

ChickyBabe Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Wisconsin
    oh that's sweet [​IMG] of her shes taking her as one of her own. I think shes just a little over protective:cd. Have you tried moving the baby chick [​IMG]? the chick might need some sun light. other then that its ok.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  3. kris41

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks.

She isn't really protective. They are both held by all of us many times a day. My 3yo loves the fact that there are chickens in the house that she can love on. It really seems like he is the one crawling in there. Do you think she will still mother him like this when I move them back out with the big chickens?

Kristie

4. kris41

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That kind of behavior right there is why I want Silkies. They are just precious!!!

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    My 2 10-wk-old Silkie chicks still sleep in the nest with mom...while she's sitting on 8 more eggs! However, they come out and do their own thing during the day.

7. kris41

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks. At least now I know it's nothing to worry about. Everytime my daughter goes to see them, I hear her saying.... Get off my baby Cocoa. I just laugh.

Kristie

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It may be that the little boy is scared. Chickens sure do not like change. If he's the one crawling under, and your hen doesn't mind, i would just let him take his own sweet time adjusting. It looks like a very comfortable spot! [​IMG]

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awwww, That is so so sweet [​IMG] [​IMG]

Would love to see more pics of them !! Just goes to show chickens can/do love each other !!

10. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I think it's one of those things that silkies just do. A few of my grown hens sleep under the roos and one pullet sleeps under her sister......
    It sure does look cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by