Wierd Silkie Question

kris41

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Maine
I have kind of a wierd question for you all.

I recently picked up a young (10 week) sizzle boy and brought him home. I didn't want to put him in with the big guys yet, so he is in the house. I also didn't want him to be lonely, so I brought in my silkie girl (I think) who is just under 6 months for some company.

Now here is the wierd part. Everytime I look at them my silkie is sitting on the baby. At first I thought it was her idea, but now he seems to be the one crawling in under her. He just hangs out and eats and sleeps right under her.

Is this normal? She hasn't given us any eggs yet and it is plenty warm in the house so I can't believe that he is cold. Any ideas? Here is a picture I took last night of them. You can only see his little head poking out.

Thanks.

Kristie

12434_darlene_baby_cocoa.jpg

oh that's sweet
love.gif
of her shes taking her as one of her own. I think shes just a little over protective:cd. Have you tried moving the baby chick
jumpy.gif
? the chick might need some sun light. other then that its ok.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks.

She isn't really protective. They are both held by all of us many times a day. My 3yo loves the fact that there are chickens in the house that she can love on. It really seems like he is the one crawling in there. Do you think she will still mother him like this when I move them back out with the big chickens?

Kristie

My 2 10-wk-old Silkie chicks still sleep in the nest with mom...while she's sitting on 8 more eggs! However, they come out and do their own thing during the day.

Thanks. At least now I know it's nothing to worry about. Everytime my daughter goes to see them, I hear her saying.... Get off my baby Cocoa. I just laugh.

Kristie

awwww, That is so so sweet
love.gif
love.gif

Would love to see more pics of them !! Just goes to show chickens can/do love each other !!

I think it's one of those things that silkies just do. A few of my grown hens sleep under the roos and one pullet sleeps under her sister......
It sure does look cute!

Back
Top Bottom