Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hi everyone. Very odd problem today. My buff Orpington hen is completely bald in a strip on her backside, underneath her vent. All the remaining feathers are caked and coated with something, I’m guessing poo. She also has an icky porta-potty smell :sick On top of that, her poop looks like literal water! It’s been a heat wave, I’m not sure if that has to do with it. I don’t know what this could be, she acts normal. I tried to get some pictures, it was a bit challenging. I hope someone can help!

9B478B54-9D18-44E0-8DD0-5B8C03B181FA.jpeg
2173E2F2-08E9-4A68-9C55-AA6564894493.jpeg
01F28507-F37F-472B-94AE-098EC7769589.jpeg

first of all, clean her up. I would then see if she is brooding, then I would give her some Nutri-Drench and shade... hope this helps!
When I saw it this morning, the first thought was to clean her up, but I wasn’t sure what the best way was. Maybe a bath? It’s so bizarre, considering just last week everything seemed normal. I’ll try the nutri-drench. Thank you for the advice!

Runny poops can be common in hot summer weather, when they are drinking more water. The picture is hard to see anything in focus. I also recommend a butt bath in warm soapy water with a bucket, some Dawn or dish detergent, and warm water. Rub all the droppings off, and rinse with clean water. Dry her off well. Then try another picture. This time of year with dirty vents and flies, fly strike or maggot infestation is common. There are several thread now in the emergency forum about flystrike.

A bare spot can be due to feather picking, or the irritation of caked on poo. Look for lice and lice eggs, white clumps that may be seen at the base of feathers.

Runny poops can be common in hot summer weather, when they are drinking more water. The picture is hard to see anything in focus. I also recommend a butt bath in warm soapy water with a bucket, some Dawn or dish detergent, and warm water. Rub all the droppings off, and rinse with clean water. Dry her off well. Then try another picture. This time of year with dirty vents and flies, fly strike or maggot infestation is common. There are several thread now in the emergency forum about flystrike.

A bare spot can be due to feather picking, or the irritation of caked on poo. Look for lice and lice eggs, white clumps that may be seen at the base of feathers.
I’ll clean it first thing tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom