wife didn't want to get roosters!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ccarver80, Jul 30, 2014.

1. ccarver80

ccarver80 Chirping

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    So I'm getting chickens this summer. .. wife doesn't want to get rossters cuz she thinks one random day she will go make an omelet or something and crack an egg open and a chicken fetus will fall out. ... I told her that's not quite how that works. ... and if you collect the eggs everyday your safe? Or dose she have sound to her theory ?

2. tantricdragon13

tantricdragon13 Chirping

Mar 26, 2014
    Nashville
    Gathering the eggs every day will keep the eggs from growing. The likelihood of her cracking a chick onto the skillet is pretty darn low. For that to happen, one of your hens would have to go broody, and then you gather the eggs from her after they starting incubating.

It's not like they will start growing chicks in them if they are sitting on the counter. So rooster is fine to have. [​IMG]

3. ccarver80

ccarver80 Chirping

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    thanks!

4. I have lots of roosters and I haven't cracked any chicks into the skillet! Just gather the eggs every day.

5. ccarver80

ccarver80 Chirping

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    If a hen goes broody should I just leave it be and let the eggs hatch?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A fertilized egg will start to develop after about 48-72 hours of being at 99 degrees F.
    ....whether under a hen, in an incubator or just in a really warm place, so keep your eggs at a moderate temp and you won't have any chicks in the eggs.

If you have a broody hen and want her to hatch some eggs for you, you should do some research on how to handle it, there are options and you'll need to find what will best work for your situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by