Wife is in the hospital...ICU

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Spookwriter, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    And the doctors tell me she'll be there for the next 10 days.

It appears that the little flap thingy in her throat that decides whether
    we're breathing or swallowing is no longer working. She can't catch her
    breath, eat, or swallow. Doctor isn't sure yet of the whys.

So meanwhile, my wife is in ICU with a nurse in the room at all times. I'm
    only allowed in 30 minutes every three hours, and the hospital is a little over
    an hours drive one way from our house. Our daughter isn't allowed in ICU at
    all. Have to be 13.

Hooked up the heart monitors, beepers...tube in her throat. They call it an
    "induced coma".

Time to wait and see.

2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    sorry to hear this , i will keep her in my thoughts and prayers

3. User66184

User66184 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    East Coast, Virgina
    Sorry For Your Wife Hope She Gets Better [​IMG]

4. ChickensRCool

ChickensRCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

5. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    Prayers are being sent!!!

6. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Oh this is horrible. I am so sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself and your daughter. Your wife sounds like she is in good hands.

Saying prayers for your wife, your daughter and you.

7. Tangeygirl

Tangeygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Thinking about you and your family!

8. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    [​IMG]

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hope everything turns out ok! I can't imagine how difficult this all is for you and your family. [​IMG]

10. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Something is inherently wrong with a total stranger saying this, but I do it all the time. It's in my nature...

The job of the staff of that ICU is to care for your wife, and they will do their very best, and most of the people there really do genuinely care. The advances in mecical technology are growing in leaps and bounds almost daily. That is great but... who is there to take care of you?

You can't be expected to be there 100% of the time- no matter how much you may want to. Your health, both physically and mentally, is just as important to your DD as your wife's, even though your wife is the focus right now. Remember to stay hydrated and eat as well as you can. Your stress level, whether you feel it or not, is trying to wreak havock on your body, especially your immune system. The last thing you need to do right now is get sick.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from family and friends- even with chores and the simplist things. Anyone who really loves you and your family will be glad you asked. They are probably racking their brains wondering what they can do to help you right now, and feeling pretty helpless.

I'm sure your wife is your #1 priority right now, and would be for any loving husband. But you need to remember to care for yourself. If you don't, who will be there to care for your daughter? Not being able to see your mother while she is in ICU because of some stupid rule will most likely not make sense to her at all- believe me- I've been there more times than I can count with my own mother. Trying to explain to her the reasons will probably be futile at this point. Keep her updated. Call her. She needs you right now.

And if all that sounds crazy, then please take a small amount of comfort knowing that there are complete strangers out here that are praying and pulling for your wife and your family to get through this. I've found over the last couple of years that BYC is a great place to seek support...

[​IMG] My thoughts and prayers are with your wife and your family, please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by