Wife jumped the gun

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DesertRacer225, Oct 8, 2011.

1. DesertRacer225

DesertRacer225 New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    Hello all. First time poster but I look up info on here all the time. Great posts. Now i know we should never help out unless we feel its not going to make it as they are hatching.

but my wife on the other hand, has no patients and feels that we should help as soon as they start breaking out... she did this today. and is now sitting next to the heat lamp with a very wet and still in the shape of an egg chick on a washcloth in her hand. Ive never had to "help one out"

So whats the chance this chick is going to make it and what can I do to help it out. Shes really upset since i told her wht she did was bad (she was really happy to help until i said something)

Thanks in advance

Ed

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Uh-oh.
    You should never help one out unless it has been struggling for a day or two. The chick may not live long.
    Helping a chick hatch is a last resort. I dont know if your chick will live. [​IMG]

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    When the chicks hatch on their own, they use their legs to break out. This gets them "unfolded". I have helped quail before that stayed curled up, and they survived, it just took them a little longer to unfold and walk properly.

Keeping the chick warm is about all you can do. Hopefully it will make it!

4. DesertRacer225

DesertRacer225 New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    Thats what i told her, she really thought she as doing some good. This is #10 from the grouping so. Hes moving around but i dont know what temp he should be at, if he should be covered and warm...

i asked her how much of the shell was off when she started and she said "i seen its little beak and i just started to pick pick then i had all teh shell off" poor thing.

like i said its moving around and chirping but i dont think its gonna make it either from waht i have read. We'll see tho. if there is anything i can do to help the poor guy along let me know -[​IMG] Thanks

Ed

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

assisted chicks will be weaker than normally hatched chicks
    mainly because many are already in a weakened condition from using so much energy and not being able to hatch.. but many times they take longer than a 'normal" chick because they never got to use their muscles to hatch.. since she did all the work for the chick.. if he's going to live it will take him a bit longer to raise his head and also get his feet up under him

now.. do you have a pic of the chick?

is the yolk fully absorbed?

did he lose ANY blood during her assist?

how much had he pipped or done on his own for the hatch?

those things will contribute a lot to his survival rate or demise... so please give us all the info you can

6. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I know exactly where your wife is coming from and I am trying with all my might not to open anymore of my little chicks she'll ..sorry auto correct... Don't be too hard on her. She was just impatient like me but she will learn, especially if the chick doesn't make it. I only gave mine a breathing hole because the air sac was very small but it is taking every fiber in my being to not help this thing after seeing it do nothing all day! I'm trying to occupy my time by sitting listening to everyone on other posts say "Don't help"

I truly hope the chick makes it. Just keep it warm like 99 and hopefully it will make it. I saw one person actually wrap a paper towel into a ring shape and put the baby in, inside the incubator..that way the baby had to like climb and wiggle over the paper towel to "get out" Maybe that will help. not sure how you would secure it so it wouldn't tip.

7. DesertRacer225

DesertRacer225 New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    there was a drop of blood but he isnt bleeding, the yoke looked like it was absorbed, the left over stuff in the shell was more mucus then yoke and there wasnt alot of it. and the only part he did on his own showed his beak at best... so JUST starting. I dont have a pic, or i should say i dont have a place to upload the pic i have atm.

Hes fluffing up tho. We'll see how the next few hours go. Thanks for all the info guys.

Ed

8. DesertRacer225

DesertRacer225 New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    Thanks packmomma, ill give that a go. the paper towel idea. Its rolling around under the heatlamp. Thanks [​IMG]

Ed

9. DesertRacer225

DesertRacer225 New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    [​IMG] and as I came in here to look for replies i came back out and found alittle pile of chick feed on the washrag hes on. I look at my wife and she goes "I thought he might get hungry!" Shes so cute [​IMG] Cant get mad at that, thats for sure [​IMG]

Ed

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

sounds to me like he should make it then.. chicks don't have much blood to start with.. so every drop is precious.. so long as he didn't lose much and his yolk is absorbed he should be a little slow.. but otherwise ok (unless there is something wrong with him such as a congenital defect or bacterial infection)

when chicks lose a lot of blood their prognosis isn't as good

just keep him warm (and away from other chicks for a while until he is able to get around better)
    if he's still slow later on you can add some sugar to water and give him a drink (1 tablespoon of sugar to 1 quart of 98 degree water)

hopefully he gets some strength and recovers in a few hours or a day (I have seen some chicks take a bit longer)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by