Wife Wants Hens In Lockdown

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 33yardbirds, Aug 8, 2010.

1. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    All kinds of songs from the woods a few in the coop. I say they're practicing, she says they're laying all over the woods and wants them confined to the coop and run. We have the Decoys in the boxes. What would you do? It's like putting your dog on a chain. [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Lock them down. You'll only have to do it for a couple of weeks, once they've gotten used to the boxes they'll come back to them (for the most part) when you let them free range again.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yup. Once they learn where you want them to lay, they will lay there from now on.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lock them up during the day, and free range them in the evening after you get home from work.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Really penning them up for a few days is good for everything. It discourages any local predators, it gets the hens laying in the boxes, then let them free range for a bit. Keep it mixed up, not set and dried, dawn to dusk free ranging, not 24/7 lock in the run. Then if you have to do either, your hens have experience with it.

They get the advantages of both, Run - saftey, eggs in nests and proper nutrinal feed; and Free range -space,cleanliness and bugs.

MrsK

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    totally agree. I do this when aot of my pullets get to the POL. I get tired of finding eggs on the ground, flor of coop, hidden nests, etc... its best for all and it is a short time until they learn where to lay there eggs-totally worth it!

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I didn't know my chickens had been laying for nearly a week when I found several dozen eggs hidden in 2 different places!! Not a single one in a nestbox. Lock them down for a week. They'll get a clue and then can go back to playing in the woods

8. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My chickens are let out of the coop at 7 and hang out in the run until about 10:30, when all the eggs have (usually) been laid. The rest of the day they are free ranging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by