Wife went to work, I went an picked up 12 cute chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MykeMc, Apr 6, 2011.

1. MykeMc

MykeMc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    Went to Big R today and picked up a dozen pullets. Not sure what breeds they are. I have my coop built, just need to paint and some finishing touches, then build the run for them. I will post pics this weekend. I do have a question, I read that wood nest boxes are prone to mites. I built my nests out of OSB, should I paint them or build them out of something else?
    Thanks
    Myke

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats great Myke! I'm sure your wife is going to love the little peepers!!! [​IMG] Enjoy!!! [​IMG]

3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I would paint them, just give them a couple of days to air out. I'm assuming your coop is wood so I would just build the nest boxes out of wood too.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I just want to ask if you will explain to my DH why you went out and got the chicks. That way he might think it is a good idea when I go to work. [​IMG] [​IMG] Have fun with your chicks!

5. MykeMc

MykeMc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    dsqard, just phrase it right. Tell him he should go cruisin' for chicks. My wife would be better at convincing him than I would, she is very skilled at coming up with new ways to get her way and somehow I always end up thinking it was my idea?

6. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    Hahah I just read this to my husband...he didn't find it as funny as I did...[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by