Wife's secret plan to get...

fpscabs

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Glendora, CA
ME to clean up the backyard. It really needed a good reason, so when she said "I want a couple of chickens. What do you think?"
Our journey began. I think is was a secret plot to get me to clean up the backyard:rolleyes:
21997_coop1.jpg

In January, I started to find out more and more about chickens. I soon found out that hens were pullets and pullets will need a place to live. A quick look into the jungle and a plan was put into the works. Plus, some basic clean up.
21997_picture_083.jpg

After many hours reading post on this forum and other sites, I started on a 5'x12' footprint with the hen house being 5'x3' and a run being most of the whole footprint.Some dangers do exsist.

Racoons nest in a pine tree next door. Cooper's Hawks are common and a once in a while Red Tail Hawk. We live about 270' from the street with two other house in front, so coyote's are not too much of a concern. Plus, in the summer and late fall, temperatures can hit triple digits for a bit (1-7 days).

Game Plan:I built a 5'x12' footprint with 2x4 treated lumber. Uprights are split 2x4 redwood. The hen house (HH) is raised with added run area under. The side panels are 5'x2' frame with 1/2" hardware cloth. Over the run will be corrigated roof material. The crown will be raised to vent heat in the warmer months. HH will have double nest box with lift lid from the outside. Currently, I have the rough frame done for the run and HH. Between weather (we actually had rain) and lack of time, I haven't been able to get the roof material or plywood needed for the top. Still hoping to pick a some scrap, but I need three 5'x4' pieces of plywood.

Our basic frame. More pics to follow as I get time to do more work on it.
21997_picture1_036.jpg

Chicks are two weeks old for 4 of them and 3 weeks for the EE.
Fritz...

With clear weather and some $$s in my pocket, i hope to get the roof and screen on this weekend.

I did notice a flaw with my rafters, the one over the door is wider than the coriggated material.
roll.png

21997_coop24.jpg

Hey Fritz! Lookin' GOOD!!! Where do you live? I live in riverside and there are racoons here the size of bulldogs, you just never see them until they pull your hens inside out through the wire at night. Not trying to gross you out, just saying... just because you don't see them much, there are a LOT of predators around here. Your coop run looks great! Congratulations on getting chickens!
welcome-byc.gif

Yep....that is gonna be one cool coop for Momma!!
cool.png

She is very !!
wink.png

Just take care to secure the bottom of your coop from digging coons....I speak from very sad experience...
sad.png

Coons do, can and will dig under your fence and carry off your entire flock
sad.png

Show us your finished pictures ??!!!

Back
Top Bottom