Wiggler temperature VS air temperature= cooked eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VaM715, Mar 6, 2008.

1. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    In reading other posts this morning, I see a great variance of opinion on temps. My wiggler temp this morning is at 100.2. I believe the opinion here would be that that's about 1/2 degree too high. Air temp moves from 99-102. I just set the eggs Tuesday night. I won't be home to lower the temp until 5 today, you think they are gonna cook?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Doesn't sound critical to me, although the wiggler temps should probably be under 100, but that isn't bad. Just check when you get home. The 100.2 in the wiggler sounds like your air temp has been a bit high, unless you have a still air bator.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    You will be fine with your temps. The temp in the wiggler is the one you need to keep your eye on. It is the one that minics the temp inside an egg. I keep mine anywhere from 99.5 to 100.5. The air temp is going to vary. Is this a still air or do you have a fan? I wouldn't let the air temps get up above the the 102 if it is a still air bator. Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. VaM715

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    It's a Hova 1602 with automatic egg turner. I ran it for 3 days setting it up and the temp in the wiggler stayed at 99.5. I am guessing now that the eggs are up to temp, the setting needs to be tweaked to offset the space taken up by the eggs radiating their heat. This is my first shot at a hatch so I want to try to be as accurate as I can.

5. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Do you have more than one thermometer? I have 3 and they all show different readings.....+/- 1/2 degree. I go by the average of them all, just a suggestion in case the one you are using is high/ low/ or right on the money.

6. VaM715

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    I have 4 thermometers. My fluker tends to read the highest. Humidity is at 50%, temp at 102.2. Bulb that came with the bator reads 101. Water wiggler is a medical grade mercury bulb reading 100.2. Then I have a probe on the corner that reads 98.7. I tend to trust the wiggler temp more than any of the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by