1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wiggling eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sharingchickens, Mar 10, 2014.

1. sharingchickens

sharingchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I have 2 days left on my incubator and the eggs are wiggling! What happens if they hatch while I am sleeping, or out of the house?? Should I be getting up at night and checking on them at this point?[​IMG]

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

As long as they're not in an egg turner, they should be fine. You may want to open your vents before you go to work, them hatching causes a LOT of moisture to be released into the incubator.

They can stay in the incubator for a couple days after hatch, so as long as you aren't going to be gone for over a day, the babies should be fine. The first hatchers will help encourage those still in the eggs.

3. sharingchickens

sharingchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Indiana
    Thank you so much! The turner was set to turn off during the night tonight, so I went ahead and turned it off now just in case.

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

If you can, I would take them out of the Turner and lay the eggs on their sides. The Turner can get their legs stuck in it. (if you have the kind I'm envisioning.)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by