Wii Exercise folks?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by booker81, Nov 2, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'm back to trying to exercise with the bionic knee finally - so far so good! Getting ready to start my 4th exercise day with EA Sports Active - that think kicks my heinie!

Anyone else like to use a Wii to get up and moving?

[​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

We have "Wii fit" and "EA Active more activites" or whatever its name is.

Wii fit is fun and we tend to burn more calories on active (comparing time to time) we are on our second 6-week challenge.

3. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Agreed [​IMG] I have Wii Fit Plus, and it's fun but not as much exercise. I use it to get me motivated to actually do the Sports.

How doest the "More Activities" EA Sports one compare? I'm starting the 30 day challenge again, Medium Intensity, and it's sure makes me sweat and get my heart up (which is good!) I'm thinking about getting the More (whatever it's called), if I finish the Active one.

Have to say I like it a whole lot better than going to a gym. My exercise time is now about 6am, when hubby is gone (he thinks it's amusing to watch), and the kiddo is sleeping (she wants to participate - aka try to steal the remote.).

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    We use the fit, kinda gotten out of the habit [​IMG] It might not be the best work out, but it is fun and better then nothing

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Were thinking of getting a wii..
    Whats the best one to get?
    I'd like one that does the excercise too... but also other games..

6. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I have Wii Fit Plus, EA Sports Active, and two regular games. I bought a refurbished Wii off Ebay last year, so I got it for pretty cheap, $150 if I remember right. It didn't come with the random game disk. It does come with the Wii-mote and the nunchuck.

Wii Fit Plus is a lot of fun, the games are fun, and it keeps track of your weight. My sister in law bought it for me as a Christmas present. It works a lot on balance and form, but not as much cardio/physical stuff. I like it because it gets you at least MOVING - good for us that haven't truly exercised for years, and haven't done much but short distance walking for a few months. It comes with the balance board. The balancing skills come in handy when it's been a long time since you've used your muscles - helps you have better posture and actually prepares you I think for honest to goodness exercise.

The EA Sports Active is MUCH more exercise like. I bought it at Walmart last year. You do about 20 exercises or so a day, and the person shows you how to do them. It makes me sweat and get my heart up, and I'm usually mildly muscle sore the next day, but that's even getting better now that I'm toning up finally. They mix things up with standard exercises (lunges, bicep curls with a resistance band, etc), and then do "fun" things like boxing, tennis, inline downhill skating, and dancing. The routines are about 30 minutes per day, and it has a 30 day challenge which includes rest days. It comes with a resistance band and a leg strap to hold the nunchuck. The resistance band is kinda chintzy, I think I'm going to buy some real ones.

I prefer doing the Wii thing because I abhor gyms. My workplace pays for nearly ALL of the cost of a gym membership at a local gym, but I have no desire to go, and really, no time. The Wii is here at home, no one care about my lovehandles flopping or if I get sweaty, or if I look ridiculous. No one is standing and watching me so they can have their turn. I can workout at home, when my kid is sleeping, so no need to find a babysitter or whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by