1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wil my chickens come back?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman15, Jan 20, 2015.

1. chickenman15

chickenman15 Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2015
    South Carolina
    ive had my rireds and w leghorns for about 3 years now.ive let them out for short times before but not all day.if i let them out will they come back on there own to roost?

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I think they should, home is home and they should go back to the coop before dark...

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Did you have any issues getting them back in after their shorter visits outside?

If not, then I would assume that it would be the same this time and they should come home at dusk.

I understand the fear that they won't return though. I remember the first time I let my chickens out to free range clearly. I opened the gate to the run, and said 'goodbye' to each one as she shot out, thinking I would never see them again!

Sure enough, at dusk they came filing back in.

- Krista

1 person likes this.
  4. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Mine do. If I forget to herd them back into the run after some extended free range time, they always go back in just before dusk.

Except one. This troublemaker prefers to roost in a nearby tree. I've had to get her down more than once. Most of the time she goes back in with the others but sometimes she gets it in her head that she's not going to...

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Actually, since your chickens have mostly been confined for three years, they're far more likely to prefer to stick to the run or hang around very close to it for security.

I try to give my flock free range time, but because of the large variety and number of predators, I only do it when I'm going to be hanging around the vicinity. Even then, I will look up from the project I'm working on and find they've all disappeared and returned to the run.

If your run isn't covered, yours may find it no different on the outside. My run is covered, and I have no doubt it plays a big role in my flock preferring to be under cover.

You have every reason to relax and be assured your flock won't be running off.

6. chickenman15

Jan 16, 2015
    South Carolina
    thanks everybody

7. chickenman15

Jan 16, 2015
    South Carolina
    thanks again everybody:) i let them out this morning and they went to roost all by thereselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by