wild baby bunny brought in by cats

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rrrmamma, Apr 6, 2011.

1. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    Don't know if this is the place to post since it isn't really a chicken question, but my cats just brought me a baby bunny. He wasn't hurt just a bit traumatized by all the commotion. I can't get to a feed store today. Has anyone ever kept one alive? What can I give it other than water and some greens. I don't know whether it is old enough to eat on its own. It is fully furred and about 6 inches long. I have it in a dog crate in the barn and will release it as soon as I know it will be able to survive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I would let it out now and put it somewhere safe where your dog can't get it. Wild rabbits carry all kinds of diseases. He is plenty big enough to fend for himself!! If you keep him trapped and feed him he will have no idea how to do it once you let him go. I have wild rabbits a plenty as I live on the prairie and you see them even smaller than that running around doing their own thing.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I would go ahead and release it now.

4. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    Thanks for the advice. I put the cats in and let it go about where I think it came from. If they found the nest they will be bringing babies home again. The bunny was bigger than my cat's head. It was screaming like a human baby, but there was no wound marks anywhere.

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Quote:Ugh!!!! Not the baby bunny scream! Curdles your blood, doesn't it? We had a bunny-catching cat, too.

6. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I also have a baby wild bunny now. He was brought to me by someone from a sod farm, so young he did not try running away, apperently he was sitting under the tractor tire, he is definetly to small to just release, its hard to tell from the pics but hes small enough you could fit 2 of him in a wet cat food can. Young enough he gladly takes a kitten bottle and kitten milk! poor thing dont know how he got to the shed with the tractors. Very friendly though, doesnt try kicking me or anything but he is active.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

he was nipping at my cats tag (hes a good kitty and has never hurt any of my pets)

[​IMG]

7. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Quote:Those are the cutest pics. My cats would never be that nice. Well, maybe Papa Dexy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by