Wild baby chicks without their mother - Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashorts, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ashorts

ashorts New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    So my wife and I live out in Oahu, HI and had a mother hen with 8 small baby chicks visit our front door this morning. We enjoyed them immensely and fed them some treats. The mother hen was very protective of these little guys. Now it is late afternoon and the baby chicks have congregated around our front door but with no mother hen. Of course we are concerned that the hen will not return. Should we step in a take care of the chicks. It would break our heart if the mongoose started to come in and pick them off.

2. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

That is very odd that the mother is not with the baby chicks...... if it was me I would probably put them in a cage or box near the door to protect them from predators and if the mother hen is still around she'll hear them and come back. If she comes back you can always release the baby chicks.

3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan

I agree, I would imagine mama would be near her babies at all times but I also think you should put them in a cage outside. She may come back and you can protect the babies in the meantime.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agreed. If you are able to keep these little ones safe, great. If Mama is around, she'll hear their complaints about being cooped up. What is your temp at night? Are the babies still in the downy stage, or are they feathered out? Amazing that they returned to your door! All 8 of them??? They know a good thing when they find it. If they're still downy, you'll need to keep them warm, even if just with a wrapped hot water bottle, and a blanket over their cuddle box.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What happened?????

6. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, we also want pictures!!

7. ashorts

ashorts New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    So we were only able to catch about 5 last night. The others scurried under a fence and would not come out. I set up a cardboard box with a heat light. Temps won't drop any farther than 62-65 degrees at night. From what I could tell they are 3-4 days old and are easter eggers from the mothers appearance.
    This morning I was hoping that the other chicks would return. I found one across the street I was able draw in and join him with its brothers and sisters. So of the 8 we rescued 6. Not to bad. However on two of the chicks there are growths on the back of their necks. We're getting medicated chick food today, crossing our fingers that these will go away.

Thanks everyone for the help and insight. I'll try to get some pictures up.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Oh interesting story, and how fun chicks just showing up on your door step. I do hope you find the other 2 chicks and hopefully mama returns safely. Im not quite sure what kind of growths they may have on them ive never heard of chicks with growths before.

I cant wait to see pics of them.

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Mama hens can not count. As long as she has just one chick with her she will be happy and satisfied.

Furthermore all mother hens expect their biddies to keep up with her. If any chick or chicks lags behind and are out of sight and hearing of the mama hen she soon looses interest in any errant part of her brood, that is as long as she still has the one biddy previously mentioned with her. I know this sounds counter intuitive or even impossible to our feverish human brains but it is the way of mother nature and it strongly contributes to the survival of not only the fittest but of the most energetic chicks.

Some times the hen will return to her old nest in a futile attempt to hatch out any remaining eggs, or the mama hen may have met with a violent end or something similar and not be able to look after her brood. It is pretty obvious that the chicks were hungry or else they would not have retraced their footsteps to your door expecting food. Keeping them dry and warm should be your first concern and that means at least under a roof. A hard boiled egg finely chopped, dry old fashion oatmeal, and buttermilk to drink will go a long way to getting the peeps off to a good second start.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Big X2

But maybe she gave them to ya [​IMG]

Do you have a photo of them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by