Wild baby ducks

Gemduckmum

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
UK
Hi guys, can anyone set my mind at rest? Today I saw a baby mallard on a roundabout so naturally I stopped all the traffic and shepherded it to the stream nearby. It couldn’t fly as it just ran and flapped away from me as I ‘shooshed’ it out of the road, it had adult feathers and a blue spot on its wings but was not full grown. It seemed fine once in the stream and I saw one more baby which looked the same as it before I had to run back to my car (abandoned in the road lol). My question is will they be fine by themselves? I didn’t see a mommy duck or any other little ones, they might have been around though. I hope they’ll be ok :/

Mama may have already been in the creek close by especially since you didn’t see her or others dead from being run over. Thank goodness you were there to help.
I didn’t see any signs of dead ducks, I think what must have happened is that the others went into the stream before the roundabout and went under a bridge and the lone baby was left behind and crossed the roundabout instead of going under if that makes sense. I pushed it to the stream and hopefully it finds its family :)

You know I see this so much mama taking her ducklings to water having to cross busy intersections or highways and so many good people stopping to help now your one of the hero's. Makes a person feel good to know there are still good caring people left in this crazy world. I hope mama and babes got reunited too.

You know I see this so much mama taking her ducklings to water having to cross busy intersections or highways and so many good people stopping to help now your one of the hero's. Makes a person feel good to know there are still good caring people left in this crazy world. I hope mama and babes got reunited too.
Yes! Thank you to the op. I'm sure mamma duck appreciates it!

I once stopped for a family of ducks crossing a very busy parkway here near Boston. 2 babies could not jump up the curb. There was a few other concerned people there. Since I could not catch the little ones, I took off my sneaker, and we herded the ducklings towards it, so they could climb up. It worked!

Last year I used my bus to block the road to let some geese cross. People here are always in a rush but thankfully are usually patient with wildlife.

Back
Top Bottom