1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wild Baby Pig

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by johyatt, Feb 19, 2011.

1. johyatt

johyatt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Groveland
    There was a mama pig and her three babies hanging around our farm recently. The mom and two babies got killed by a big truck on the highway and there is one baby left. It is still here by the lake, and the road, alone. Does anyone have any idea how to catch it ? We saw it again yesterday and it is healthy and quick. It probably weighs about 10 lbs or so, so I am assuming it is still very young. We have scattered corn and some produce around where she is. We have a trap but she has not gone in it yet. Our fear is she will get hit by a truck too. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks !

2. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    buy a few hog panels and once it goes for the food close it in

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Or maybe toss a bunch of netting on it, if you happen to have some that has some strength. Even an old sheet. Wonder if one of those long handled fishing nets would work.

4. johyatt

johyatt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Groveland
    Thanks but we can't get that close to it. It hauls butt. Guess we will have to wait for it to go in the trap. Thank you.

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    try putting a can of cat food in the trap

6. d1

d1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    as bad and cruel as this sounds,unless you are planning on butchering this pig or raising it until it dies of old age,in a pen that is built like ft.knocks so it cant escape, the best thing for it is to let it try to survive on its on and if it doesnt make it so be it.wild pigs/hogs are a nuisiance(sp) and when they get over populated they will destroy everything from grass to trees in in search of food including,but not limited to your yard,garden and flower beds.Heaven forbid they find your grains/feed you put out for your barnyard animals,they will be regular visitors at your place.

now with that being said,the best way to trap a hog is to soak corn in a 5 gallon bucket full of water and yeast until it sours helps piggy find it better, then pour the water out and soak it in diesel fuel for a day to keep the coons and squirrells out of it. while that is soaking, build a pen with a guillotine(sp) door with a rope with a stick tied to the end, over the limb of a tree and fix the stick loosley under a root in the ground so it slides easily out from under the root then pour the corn over the root when piggy starts rooting in the corn he knocks the stick out causing the door to comes down and piggy should be trapped

P.S.

use heavy gauge fencing and wood or steel materials.I know you said a little pig but big hogs can/will find it too

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Good luck catching it. A weaner pig of mine escaped in the desert foothills...it took half the neighborhood, several dogs, and 4 hours to finally herd it down into a steep, narrow gully where we caught it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by