Wild baby turkey died /:

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ducklover12, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ducklover12

ducklover12 New Egg

Jul 15, 2010
    We were riding through the woods, and we found a baby turkey just in the middle of a racing trail. So we pulled off into the weeds and sat there for at least an hour waiting for it's mom to come back. She didn't, so we took him home, and set up a large box, with a towel, newspaper, a feeder and waterer, and feed that we got at tractor supply after asking what we should feed him. We left him at my boyfriends house, and the next day when i checked on him, he was very weak. He couldn't walk anymore and kept shaking his head. So i soaked some very small pieces of bread in water, and force fed him. He then drank willingly, and got better. He started hopping around, although he wouldn't eat on his own, i kept feeding him. We decided to bring him to my house, so i could feed him when he needed it. He imprinted on me, and followed me around all day, peeping and falling asleep when i would hold him. When it was around midnight, i stuck him in his box, and put the heat lamp over it. I took a shower, got back out to check on him, and he seemed fine. He was peeping quietly, but i read online that it was normal. I set my alarm for one to turn the lamp off, because i didn't want it to get too hot in there. When i got up at one, he was dead. /; He was in the same spot, sprawled out with his legs behind him, and face down with his wittle eyes open ); We can't figure out why he died. He shouldn't have been hungry or thirsty, as i fed him and made him drink right before i put him to bed. And it was 85 degrees in his box (incubator thermometer). He seemed perfectly fine, before i put him in there. Is it possible he died of loneliness or of a broken heart? That's the only thing we could think of. He was probably about 4 days old.

Rip frankiee /: </3

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I wanted to welcome you, and to say I'm sorry the little turkey didn't make it. Sometimes they just don't make it due to stress, possible injury, this darned heat, etc. At least you tried...

3. ducklover12

ducklover12 New Egg

Jul 15, 2010
    Thank you:). I don't feel horrible, knowing that he would have died if we didn't take him anyhow. We are getting ducklings soon, so i'm very excited for that [​IMG], which makes it a little better.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Yep; nothing like enjoying new babies to help ease the sting of loss.... congrats on your soon-to-be babies! [​IMG]

5. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    It hurts, doesn't it, to see something so little struggle for life and loses it.

We had our fist 17 poults hatch a few weeks ago. One was pecked by the others soon after hatching and we took it indoors to recover over night. Poults, it seems, can recognise a weakling in the brood and probably act from an instinct of survival in the wild. This chick occasionally stood still for many minutes doing nothing while the others fed but they didn't peck it again. One day, we realised that it was now very weak. Although it looked to be the same size as the others it was skin and bone under its feathers. It was put indoors again in a box with water and a towel bed. I touched water to its beak but it wouldn't drink. Occasionally it peeped, giving us hope. In the morning, it was dead, It had fallen over from exactly where I had left it the night before.

This poult had been treated just the same as the others but simply wasn't going to make it. Your chick in the wild had probably been left behind my mother and siblings for the same reason. If they allowed themselves to be held back by a weakling the might all be taken by a predator. It was great that you did what you could but the poor thing was probably doomed in any case. It put up a darned good fight though, didn't it?

Good luck with your ducks. Maybe a turkey or two in the future?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by