Wild bird exposure?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hens rule, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Sometimes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    It's fall and so migratory birds (mainly water birds) are headed south for the winter. I know most people know this but in case anybody doesn't. Anyways lately a lot of geese have been flieing over my yard (mainly my coop) and there's been a lot of them. :/

I was just out with my hens and I heard and saw like 50 geese in they're flying pattern right above my yard, coop, chickens and they're outdoor waterers which I moved under trees to prevent further exposure. I know wild Canadian geese can carry mareks disease.... Do my hens have a high chance of getting this disease though this kind of exposure? And no they haven't been vaccinated for mareks but my birds do have strong immune systems because they most likely have been exposed to bronkitis a few years back and nothing happend, if that makes a Differance. My birds are ages 1,2,3 and 4 years old and almost another year older. Please help I'm really worked about the exposure!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Hi. Not that this will give you much comfort, but there is little that you can do. That is ,,, to prevent the spread of disease.. My thinking is this...... Those geese that are flying overhead are most likely in good health. The sickly ones would not be able to endure such long flight journeys. There are geese flying over my home as well. (other birds also ) My chickens did not catch anything yet. Have been keeping chickens about 18+ years. One time a few years back, 3 chickens died from a respiratory ailment. Not sure what strain it was. the rest of my chickens did not catch it. No idea where that bug came from, , but I had some speculations at the time...
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    The geese have probably been flying over for many years, if they had something they likely would have spread it long ago. I wouldn't want my chickens hanging out at ponds that have geese or wild ducks (avian flu risk) but I wouldn't worry about the geese spreading Mareks. I believe most wild bird populations are resistant/immune to Mareks so they probably wouldn't shed much virus even if they had it.

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    In all actuality, the more your flock is exposed, albeit a little at a time, the better their chances of building immunity to your local pathogens.

For instance, Marek's. If a breed were not resistant to it, they would actually get benefit from wild turkeys around the place, because the chickens can get exposure and gain immunity. However if you take a sick bird with Marek's and toss them in your flock, infection would be 100% and mortality would be about the same. :(

We WANT immunity built, but not shock or overload their immune systems. That's why vaccinations are used.(IMO also not necessary) They give a bird just a wee bit of the pathogen so their immune system can build antibodies and they can fight it the next time they're exposed. ;)

But, key in this is making sure the birds are 100% HEALTHY or they can't fight it anyway.

Just like us, they need the exposure to gain immunity. ;)

Edit* autocorrect

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  5. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that vaccines were a dose of KILLED BACTERIA.. [​IMG]

6. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

No, actually, they're not made with bacteria... Bacteria is a microorganisms completely separate from a virus. Bacteria would cause infection, not a pathogenic disease. Bacterial infection is usually fixed via immune response or antibiotics.

Vaccinations are made with either live, weakened, or killed viruses, organisms, or toxins. The purpose of those us to expose the immune system to a foreign pathogen, dead or alive, to aid immune response by building resistance and antibodies.

Bacteria, fungi, virus, allergen, toxin. All different microorganisms with different responses and traits ;)

7. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Always learning something new.... [​IMG] I thought that it was always a killed organism, regardless of being , virus,bacteria , fungi, etc.

8. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Hey @cavemanrich, thought you'd like this little gem ;)

Word play, on "anti".. BTW, I just figured this out the other day, and I'm like a little preschooler, I get all excited when I can write my letters all by myself :p

Anti- meaning lack of, negation, or elimination of...

Anti-viral= kills virus
    Anti-venom=stops toxin response
    Anti-bacterial=kills bacteria
    Anti-microbial=kills microbes
    Anti-biotic=kills life

Hm?

I kinda freaked out when I figured out " biotic" meant ALL life, eeks :p

Oh, and this is just FYI, example, an antibacterial hand wipe won't kill a virus, and antiviral won't kill bacteria, but anti-microbial will get them both, and antibiotics will kill everything, including your own immune cells ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    This morning after I let the chickens out I heard a flock of Canadian Geese coming and 20 or so flew right over the coop. They were quite beautiful and I enjoyed seeing them. They were also flying pretty high so any little microbes that may have fallen from them would be scattered for half a mile in any direction.

I don't worry about them at all, plus my flock has already been exposed to Mareks and Mycoplasma, everyone is currently very healthy including the 6 flock raised juveniles (knock on wood). If I had a pond I would never allow my chickens to go near it if wild waterfowl visited, but flying over is fine by me! Their pen is covered with avian netting so the only wild birds that enter are little sparrows/finches.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by