wild bird feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tntpeeps, Dec 3, 2010.

1. tntpeeps

tntpeeps New Egg

Sep 18, 2010
    my new pullets got into my wild bird feeder and had a feast.....is this ok???[​IMG]

2. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    they should be fine, some people give bird seed as a treat (like scratch). they just had a pig out moment, now you can secure the feeder so they don't get in there again [​IMG]

3. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    It's fine- Mine run over whenever I fill the birdfeeders, and I throw some on the ground for them. They eat sunflower, safflower, cracked corn and peanuts like it was their last meal. They even chase the squirrels away from the seeds on the ground!

I have heard that we're supposed to keep wild birds away from our chickens to prevent disases. But I've never had a problem with that and it's been almost 2 years now that the girls free range in the yard right along side lots of birds.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use wild bird seed in my scratch mix.

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    That is basically what is in a flock block and lots of people feed those as a treat. I wouldnt make it thier main diet but it is fine as an occasional goody. It will not hurt them unless it is all they eat.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use millet, thistle seeds, and BOSS (all are birdseed) in my homemixed feed recipe.

The only reason people would want to keep their chickens away from a birdfeeder is that wild birds carry lice, mites, and other diseases. The mites might be sitting on the birdfeeder waiting for a chicken to come by.

Don't laugh- mites DO hop onto me when my chickens have the northern fowl mite and I open and close the coops.

7. johnschiks

johnschiks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Hurley, MS
    they'll be fine, i give mine a jar full every morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by