wild bird feeding

swimmer

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Utah
With the cooler months ahead, I've always fed the wild birds over the winter. Usually thistle or BOSS. This will be my first winter with my new flock. I'm wondering if attracting the wild birds with bird feeders will also invite the spread of disease to my girls? Should I not put bird feeders where my girls free range? Not feed the birds? I love to feed the birds during the winter, but if it means possibly putting my ladies at risk of "catching" something, I'd rather not feed them. Any input would be appreciated.

Can you put your bird feeders someplace other than where your chickens forage? That would be best.

If you free range at all, or even if your run is not roofed, your chickens can be exposed to worms, mites, and diseases carried by wild birds. However, the more intensive that exposure is, the greater the risk. The areas under bird feeders usually gets pretty thorough covered with poop from birds using the feeders; that would not be the best place to let your chickens hang out.

That's what I was thinking I could do. Put the bird feeders out front where the chickens never go. Just don't want to risk them getting sick.

I free ranged chickens many years ago & one especially always ran to the bird feeder to scratch when she was let out in the morning. While it is true wild birds can carry disease, where in the heck do any of you live where there is not wild birds??? The above mentioned hen was a pet that lived 9 years.

Yes, I do have wild birds as anyone else does. That's not the point. What I'm getting at is attracting more. What I was wondering if anyone else that feeds wild bird has problems with their flocks getting sick from the droppings. As elmo was saying, under the feeders, it gets pretty nasty and just wondering what experiences others have had. Like I said, this is my first winter with chickens and just trying to plan ahead before I fill the feeders and wish I wouldn't have.

I have 2 seed feeders, 2 suet feeders, 1 squirrel feeder in the yard with the chickens. Have never had a disease in my small flock, for 7 years. I imagine it could happen though.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom